Nexus 9 is a great Tablet released back in 2014, in association with HTC. As it a Nexus device without a buggy UI, It has good developer support. Recently, Lineage OS 14.1 based on Android has made its way for the Nexus 9. Regardless of Android updates, it is still a capable device with 64-bit support. As it also a quite old, so this is time to Root the device and unleash the power in it by Android tweaks and Custom ROMs. Follow our Guide to Unlock your device and Install the Lineage OS 14.1 based on Android Nougat.
- HTC Nexus 9
- ADB and Fastboot
- TWRP for Nexus 9(flounder)
- Lineage OS: https://download.lineageos.org/flounder
- Google apps: Beans GApps (optional)
- SU addon zip: Addon Install zip / Removal zip
- Backup all the data in your data or you will lose the data.
NOTE: LineageOS does not come with root access, so users have to flash an extra addon su zip file to enable the root access. The install zip is a one time flash, means it persists when updating to a new LineageOS nightly.
How to Unlock the Bootloader of Nexus 9:
- Make sure your computer has ADB. Setup instructions are here.
- Enable USB debugging, and OEM unlock (if present)in the Developer options on the device.
- Connect the device to your PC via USB and Open the ADB with Administrative rights
- Boot the device into fastboot mode by typing:
adb reboot bootloader
Alternatively, You can also boot into fastboot mode using the key combination. (keeping the device powered off, hold Volume Down & Power buttons.)
6. Next, type the following command to unlock the bootloader:
fastboot OEM unlock
7.Reboot the device. As its factory resets and erases all the data, you have to re-enable USB debugging again.
How to Install the TWRP custom recovery in Nexus 9:
- Download TWRP recovery for Nexus 9 and place it the ADB installation folder. Also, rename the recovery image file to “twrp”
- Connect the device using USB cable, to the PC.
- Open the ADB installation folder. Right click on white space while pressing the shift key and Select the Open command window here
- Open the device in the fastboot mode using steps stated above.
- Command to Flash recovery onto your device:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
6. Now reboot into TWRP recovery: powered off the device, hold Volume Down & Power, then use the on-screen menu to select Recovery.
7. Select the Backup button in the Main menu to create a backup of your Stock ROM(recommended)
Steps to Install the Lineage OS 14.1 in Google Nexus 9:
- Download the Lineage OS install package.
- Place the Lineage OS .zip package, as well as any other optional packages on the root of sd card:
- Using ADB: adb push filename.zip /sdcard/
- Reboot into recovery, using the Key combinations stated above.
- Select Wipe>> Advanced Wipe.
- Select Cache, System and Data partitions to wipe and then Confirm to Wipe.
- Go back to the main menu, then select Install.
- Navigate and select the LineageOS Zip package.
- Confirm the Flashing by swiping.
How to Root Lineage OS:
- Root the device by flashing the Lineage OS su add-on. (arm 64)
- In TWRP, select the Su Zip package and Confirm the Flashing.
- After completion, return to the main menu and select Reboot>> System.
Now, your Nexus 9 will boot with new Lineage OS 14.1 based on the Android nougat. You can also check How to get features and Design of Android O on your rooted device. Follow us more updates and Device specific rooting guides.