LG took really long to officially allow the Bootloader Unlocking of their Flagship LG G6. But the unlock of Bootloader is available only for European G6 variants. Despite old processor, LG G6 is a good option with Bezelless and Large Aspect ratio 2:1 Display. Further, Rooting allows the modification of the kernel and Installation of Custom Roms. Here Follow our Guide to Unlock, Flash TWRP and Root the LG G6.
- European LG G6 H870(European variant) and LG USB drivers.
- Computer with ADB & Fastboot- download here.
- Device IMEI, Go to the settings> About the phone or by dialling *#06#.
- LG developer account — sign up by clicking the “Start Unlocking the Bootloader” button at the bottom of the LG site CLICK HERE.
- TWRP (unofficial, from XDA) – we will update once official version is available.
- DM-verify zip: Download
- Su zip (OR) magisk zip, for enabling root.
- Backup all the data on the Device or you will lose the data.
How Officially unlock the bootloader on LG G6:
Step 1. To enable USB-Debugging, Go to Settings >> About phone >> Software info and tap Build number for 7-8 times. Now Return to the previous screen, select Developer Options and enable USB-Debugging.
Step 2. Allow OEM unlock on your device. Go to Settings >> Developer options >> Enable OEM Unlock.
Step 3. Navigate to the ADB installation folder, Right click the mouse while simultaneously pressing the shift key. Then select Open Command Prompt Here and enter the following ADB command to reboot into the bootloader
adb reboot bootloader
Alternatively, by powering off the phone then power the phone on while holding Volume UP (remove the USB cable otherwise it may boot into LG Download Mode)
Step 4. Next, use the following fastboot command to obtain Device ID:
fastboot oem device-id
Result: Fastboot command will return a string in two lines. This code is your Device ID which is needed to generate the unique unlock key for your Device.
$ fastboot oem device-id
Step 5. To generate your unlock key, you have to paste the two lines of output into one continuous string without “(bootloader)” and spaces.
For above example, the Device ID would be:
Step 6. Copy Device ID and IMEI into the LG Developers Bootloader Unlock site. Then unlock.bin will be emailed to you. Download unlock.bin to the computer and place it in the Installation folder of ADB.
Step 7. Then, enter this command to unlock the bootloader
fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin
Step 8. To check if you have unlocked your device successfully, enter the below command:
fastboot getvar unlock
fastboot getvar all
Step 9. You can now reboot the phone Entering the following command
Steps to Install TWRP on LG G6:
Step 1. You need to download the TWRP H870 image and Rename it to “twrp.img”
(Currently, there is no official TWRP for the H870 , we will update once official image is available)
Step 2. Enter to Bootloader menu using key combinations stated above also move the downloaded image to the installation folder of ADB.
Step 3. To Flash TWRP, enter the command
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
Step 4. After flashing TWRP disconnect the USB cable. Then boot into recovery which should boot into TWRP. Enter the below command to boot into recovery.
fastboot reboot recovery
Step 5. Allow the modifications Now Go to>>wipe and Format all data by typing Ye
To keep TWRP recovery permanently in your device, you must 1st boot into TWRP and not boot back into Android until after doing one of the following
- If you are not likely to root the device, then flash the latest “no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip” from the TWRP.
- Flashing SuperSU/Magisk and obtaining root.
- For transfer of the zip files, use one of the methods below:
- MTP: Connect your phone to the computer and just copy the zips to the internal storage of the device.
- External SD: Copy the Zips to an external SD and insert the sd card into the phone.
Steps to Flash Dm-verity-Encrypt Zip, using TWRP:
1.Tap on Install on TWRP and Locate the Dm-verity zip file.
2.Confirm the Flashing of the zip file and reboot into recovery.
Steps to root LG G6:
- Download SuperSU or Magisk Zip
- In TWRP, Tap the Install and locate the zip file in the device storage or sd card.
- Swipe right to Flash either of the zips.
- Reboot the device.
Q: I have an LG G6, not a European H870. Can I follow this method?
A: No, this method of official unlock is ONLY for the LG G6 H870, European variant. But Some users of Asia reported that they received unlock.bin files, upon registering on the site. So you never know what may happen until you try and submit your device-id and IMEI into the LG Developer Bootloader Unlock site.
Follow us for Device specific guides. For any queries, comment below.