OnePlus recently launched its new flagship the OnePlus 3T at a price that made the OnePlus 3 redundant. The Chinese Manufacturer really knows how to sell products that attracts people. OnePlus 3T is actually the user feedback version of OnePlus 3 which is built to overcome all the issues that users reported in OnePlus 3 like smaller battery. The OnePlus 3 was the best phone OnePlus had made, and one we highly recommended. But it’s time to improvise. We have already discussed about the procedure of Installing TWRP & Rooting OnePlus 3 which better for OnePlus 3T.
Rooting OnePlus 3T is pretty easy. Rooting procedure of 3T can be broken down into 3 steps, Unlocking the Bootloader, Installing TWRP Recovery & finally installing SuperSU to gain Root access. Each new step relies on the previous step to have been completed, and a basic summary of each part is:
- Unlocking Bootloader: Opens the door to the internal memory of the device to be written on to. This allows you to flash images onto the main partitions of the phone.
- Installing a Custom Recovery: A custom recovery is flashed onto the recovery partition of the device and overwrites the stock recovery that exists by default. Custom recoveries bring lots of functionality and give you the ability to perform wipes, install flashable zips, create full backups of your NAND (Nandroid backup), and various other features. An unlocked bootloader is needed to install a custom recovery.
- Rooting: You can gain root by either flashing via recovery a pre-rooted custom ROM, or flashing a zip containing the SuperSU binaries. A custom recovery is necessary to do this.
After completing these steps your phone will be rooted, the phone will have a custom recovery installed, and the phones bootloader will be unlocked. This, in our opinion, is the most practical and beneficial method for rooting your phone. It gives you some basic ADB/fastboot knowledge, and should hopefully help you have a decent understanding of what is going on. Also this method will work regardless of what android version your phone has.
If you are confused by anything in this guide, we would highly suggest getting it clarified being before moving on. Ask your question in the comment section and we will get back to you ASAP!
- Install Minimal ADB Fastboot Tool.
- Install ADB Drivers – follow the procedure given in the guide.
- Enable USB Debugging – Go to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build number 7 times > Return to Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
- Backup all your data from your device as unlocking bootloader erases all the data.
- Charge your device upto 70% to avoid any shutdown during the procedure which might cause some big issue.
- Your device must be updated to 3.5.3 or above as TWRP has an issue with Decryption on 3.5.1
- Enable OEM Unlocking – On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the ‘OEM Unlocking’ option.
- Enable Advanced Reboot – On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the ‘Advanced Reboot’ option.
How to unlock OnePlus 3T Bootloader
Step 1. Turn off your device. Then boot it into fastboot mode by holding volume up + power. (The phone will display “fastboot” text indicating that it has successfully entered fastboot mode.)
Step 2. Connect your device to your PC & launch command.bat file from ADB folder.
Step 3. To check if everything is working, type below command in command window. It will return your device’s serial number. (If it doesn’t return a serial code, install the ADB drivers again.)
Step 4. To unlock Bootloader of OnePlus 3T, type the below command:
fastboot oem unlock
How to install TWRP Recovery in OnePlus 3T
Step 1. Download TWRP Recovery and transfer it into Minimal ADB Folder. (Rename the TWRP file to whatever you want, I renamed it to TWRP.img)
Step 2. Open Command window & type the below command to flash the TWRP Recovery into your OnePlus 3T.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img (Replace twrp.img with your file name)
Step 3. Now to boot into Recovery mode, type below command in command window.
fastboot boot twrp.img (Replace twrp.img with your file name)
Step 4. Once your device boots into TWRP Recovery, it will ask to allow system modifications.
- By swiping right, you will trigger dm-verity, and if you don’t follow the next step you will be unable to boot!
- If you are going to root your device and follow the rest of these steps, then it is safe to swipe right and enable modifications.
- Select your preferred Language, Tap “Never show this screen on boot again,” and Swipe allow modification.
How to Root OnePlus 3T
Step 2. Boot your device into TWRP Recovery mode. (Jump to step 3 if you’re already in TWRP recovery)
Step 3. Go to Install in recovery mode & Flash the dm-verity-opt-encrypt zip. (This will also allow you to use [Format Data] to completely disable your encryption if desired)
Step 4. Now flash the SuperSU zip file from Recovery. Wait for the installation to complete & reboot your device.
Keep in mind that the first boot after wiping the phone may take longer than usual, as the phone will need to rebuild the dalvik cache and initialize other first boot and would reboot a few times due to SuperSU Flash. Your phone now has an unlocked bootloader, a custom recovery installed and is rooted.