Samsung’s new flagships S8 and S8+ are doing well in the smartphone market. They have their unique and all round capabilities. In fact, they are the best Android smartphones to buy for now. What’s more? Rooting, custom ROMs, kernels will push up the device boundaries, which Samsung has set to them. Here is our guide to unlock, flash TWRP and Root the Samsung S8 and S8+.
- Latest Samsung Odin (Samsung’s Flash Tool) and driver package
- Official TWRP for S8/ S8+ (.tar image)
- dm-verity and force encryption disabler zip to disable the encryption.
- Magisk zip, which enables the root access.
- A bit of patience and presence of mind to follow up the things.
- This process will erase all the data on the device.So, backup all the data on the target device.
Compatible Device models:
- Samsung Galaxy S8 – SM-G950F, SM-G950FD, SM-G950N, SM-G950X.
- Samsung Galaxy S8plus – SM-G955F, SM-G955FD, SM-G955X, SM-G955N.
- This guide is strictly for the Exynos variants, should not be followed by Snapdragon variants. We are not responsible for your errors. Follow this guide at your risk. Unlocking the device voids warranty of your device.
Initial Steps to follow:
- In your device, go to Settings > about the device. Tap seven times on Build number to enable Developer options. Also, Match up your S8/S8 Plus’s model number.
- Then go to Settings -> Developer options and enable OEM Unlock option.
- Download and Install standalone driver package for Samsung Mobile Phones.
Unlock Galaxy S8/S8+ Bootloader & Flash TWRP:
- Download Odin (Samsung’s Flash Tool) to your computer and Extract it. Select the .exe file, Right click>Run as adminstrator.
- Download the appropriate .tar image of TWRP from the official site.
- Power-off the target device.
- Press and Hold [VOLUME DOWN] + [BIXBY] and then press [POWER] button. A warning appears.
- Read the warning carefully, If you are ready to go ahead, press [VOLUME UP] to get into Download mode.
- Connect your S8/S8+ using C-type cable. If you have the drivers installed, your device should be detected.
- You should see Added in the ODIN Log box. Also, the ID: COM port will change into blue.
- Open Odin and place that TWRP tar file in the [AP] slot.1 of 2
- Click the Options tab on Odin and uncheck the Auto Reboot option.
- Now click Start on Odin and wait for the TWRP installation process to finish.
- If the flashing completes successfully, you will see the box above the ID: COM port light up green with a PASS message.
- You need to boot your phone into the recovery mode. Hold [VOLUME DOWN] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] on your phone at same time.
- Immediately swap the Volume Up as soon as the screen goes blank while still pressing the Home and Power keys. DO NOT release [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] until you reboot into TWRP.
How to Initialize TWRP Recovery in Galaxy S8/S8+
Step 1. You should be in TWRP now. At this point, you will see a screen asking you to allow system modifications.
Step 2. Do not allow modifications at the first time. Tap on ‘Keep Read Only’ and then backup your unmodified system to sd card using TWRP. You can replace this backup in case you need OTA updates.
Step 3. Go to “Wipe” menu of TWRP, and you will find “Format Data.” Press “Format Data” and type “yes” to continue.
Step 4. Get back to “Reboot” menu and Press “Recovery” to reboot into TWRP.
How to flash Encryption Disabler zip file
Step 1. Download the latest dm-verity and force encryption disabler zip on your computer.
Step 2. Transfer the zip to your phone.
- Method 1: MTP: Connect your phone to the computer and just copy the zip to internal storage. If the device does not show up on your PC, Go to mount menu in TWRP and enable it.
- Method 2: Alternatively you can use ADB: Connect your phone with computer and run command “adb push /path/to/zip /sdcard/”
- Method 3: External SD: Copy the zip to an external SD and insert the card into your phone.
Step 3. Go to “Install” menu of TWRP and flash the encryption disabler zip. Get back and reboot into recovery. TWRP is initialized and fully functional now.
How to Root the Galaxy S8 and S8+:
1. Download the Magisk flashable zip. (You can try SuperSU, which is untested for now.)
2. Transfer the zip to your phone using any of methods mentioned above.
3. Go to “Install” menu of TWRP and flash the zip.
4. Reboot your Device. First boot may take time, so please be patient.
Now you have completed rooting your flagship device.You can check out our list of Top 10 Apps for Rooted Smartphones. We will notify you once Xposed Framework is ready for your device, stay tuned. If you are stuck in between, let us know from comments.