During 2012, Google’s Nexus 4 was the smartphone in the market. It received all the latest updates in no time. But now, Google won’t provide any official update for its Nexus 4 device which is acceptable as the device is quite outdated now. But, things don’t end here. There’re developers out there who won’t give up on a device & device’s age won’t be a barrier. The legendary Nexus 4 is still holding up strong & ready for Android Nougat 7.0 ROM update.
Features of Android Nougat 7.0 in Google Nexus 4
Android Nougat provides a lot of major improvements and refinements over Marshmallow, along with quite a few nice new usability changes. There’s way more exciting background stuff going on in Nougat than you see on the surface.
- Multi Window / Split screen mode.
- Quick switching apps
- Clean, elegant & pure.
- Redesigned Notifications & option for quick reply.
- Notification prioritization
- System UI Tuner
- Customizable Quick Settings
- Doze Mode on the Go
- Multi-language support, emoji and app links
- New settings menu.
- Data Saver
- Do Not Disturb
- Recent apps changes
- Seamless updates
- Vulkan, Java 8 and OpenJDK
- Direct Boot
- Better backups and Accessibility settings
|Wi-Fi||Brightness slider |
(Disable adaptative brightness
in order to use it)
doesn't seem to work)
|H/W Acceleration||Few minor bugs|
- Root & Install Latest 2.8.7 TWRP Recovery in Nexus 4.(Download Goomanger App in your rooted Google Nexus 4 from PlayStore
- Check the battery percentage of the phone, it should be at least 40%.
- This ROM is only for Google Nexus 4. Please don’t try this on any other smartphones.
- Backup all your data: Contacts, Photos, Apps & other files. (Although you will not lose other files except contacts & Apps, but its better to be on the safer side)
- To backup all your Apps, use Titanium Backup so that you can restore them later.
Install AOSP Android Nougat 7.0 ROM in Nexus 4:
Step 1. Transfer the downloaded AOSP ROM & GApps zip, in your Google Nexus 4
Step 2. Turn off / Switch off your Google Nexus 4.
Step 3. Press and hold Press & hold Voldown + Power button, it will get you to the bootloader, then select recovery from there to boot into Recovery mode.
Step 4. Do not forget to perform a nandroid backup. Goto backup option in TWRP and select all the partitions including System, Data, Boot, Recovery and swipe right to backup.
Step 5. After performing the ROM backup, go back to the TWRP main menu and tap the wipe button.
Step 6. Then, select Advanced Wipe, as well as Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache (Don’t select Internal storage)
Step 7. Next, swipe to confirm. Wait for the wiping process to complete.
Step 8. Next, Goto TWRP main menu & goto Install option. Locate the ROM file & tap on it. Now swipe to Install the ROM.
Step 9. Once the installation process is finished successfully, Again Goto TWRP Main menu, Tap on Install & locate the GApps zip file. Swipe to install GApps Package.
Step 10. From recovery select “reboot”. First boot might take 4-5mins, so don’t panic.
Too many force close?
Just skip them if shown. Also if Google Play Services is crashing, grant it the location permission in the settings. I’m also surprised to say that even with your data not wiped, it’s working.
Download Android Nougat 7.0 ROM for Nexus 4
This ROM cannot be used as a daily driver because of its list of bugs & the ROM is still in development. Try this ROM only if Nexus 4 is your secondary device.