Samsung’s one of the highest selling tablet, Galaxy Tab 3 has finally received Cyanogenmod 12.1 Android Lollipop 5.1.1 update. Although this is an Unofficial update coming from XDA developer, DarkFrenzy. As Samsung won’t be releasing any update for Galaxy Tab 3, this is the best way to taste Android Lollipop 5.1.1 in your Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. However, if you are not much into Custom ROMs and all, you don’t need to worry as we have tried to explain the entire process in a very simple way such that even a non-technical guy can flash Cyanogenmod 12.1 ROM in Galaxy Tab 3 7.0.
Features of CyanogenMod 12.1
- All new Material design Interface.
- Much more clean & smooth
- New Sytem UI and more Customization
- All the bugs of CM 12 (5.0.1) is fixed in CM 12.1 (5.1.1)
- New Notification bar with drag down feature for more options.
- Better Theme App.
- Better Performance, Battery & features.
Bugs in CM 12.1 ROM for Galaxy Tab 3
- Major Bugs:
- Camera is not working.(Camera App Force Closes)
- Screen Flickering
- Minor Bugs:
- You will see the screen rotates to landscape mode while locking the device. (if you are in landscape mode it will rotate to portrait. if in portrait, to landscape mode).
- If you try to seek while watching videos using HW in MXplayer it will take sometimes to come to the seek place. (so use HW+ or SW Decorder to fix this bug).
About CyanogenMod 12.1
CyanogenMod is an alternative operating system intended to replace the one pre-installed on your smart phones and tablets. If you’ve got an older device that isn’t getting updates anymore, or if your device seems unusually slow, or maybe you’re sick of spyware, adware, and other unwanted garbage on your phone that you can’t remove… Maybe your device is missing features or has been otherwise artificially limited in functionality. Perhaps you just could use a boost in performance. Or maybe you’d like to be more confident that your operating system has included some of the latest bug fixes. If so, CyanogenMod might be for you. You can also check ways to make Android phone faster to speed up your phone without rooting it.
Note: Devs-Lab won’t be responsible for anything that happens to your phone during this Process. If you don’t know about Custom ROMs & Rooting, Check What is Rooting & Custom ROMs to learn about it. We will surely help you under such situations but please follow each steps as mentioned.
- Root & Install Latest 2.8.7 TWRP Recovery in Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0.
- Check the battery percentage of the phone, it should be at least 40%.
- This ROM is only for Galaxy Tab 3 7.0.. Please don’t try this on any other smartphones.
- Backup all your data: Contacts, Photos, Apps & other files. (Although you will not lose other files except contacts & Apps, but its better to be on the safer side)
How to Flash Cyanogenmod 12.1 ROM in Samsung Galaxy Tab 3
Step 1. Transfer the downloaded CM 12.1 zip, in your Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T217S
Step 2. Turn off / Switch your Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T217S
Step 3. Press and hold the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together till the screen turns up you see the Samsung logo, and then release the Power button but keep the Volume and Home buttons pressed until you see the TWRP menu.
Step 4. Do not forget to perform a nandroid backup. Goto backup option in TWRP and select all the partitions including System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS and swipe right to backup.
Step 5. After performing the ROM backup, go back to the TWRP main menu and tap the wipe button.
Step 6. Then, select Advanced Wipe, as well as Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache (Don’t select Internal storage) (Refer: How to Install Custom ROMs in Android)
Step 7. Next, swipe to confirm. Wait for the wiping process to complete.
Step 8. Next, Goto TWRP main menu & goto Install option.
Step 9. Locate the CM 12.1 downloaded zip file & tap on it. Now swipe to Install the ROM.
Step 10. From recovery select “reboot” and enjoy.
1. What about Google Apps?
The ROM already includes all the latest GApps. Don’t flash Gapps from any other zip & it may lead to random FCs.
2. How to Install XPOSED?
Xposed Framework is already included in the ROM (Active) so you don’t need to flash any Xposed Framework zip. Just install Xposed Installer APK normally.
Download TWRP & CM 12.1 ROM Galaxy Tab 3:
- Recovery Flashable file: Negalite_Recovery_Selector_Tab3_v3.zip
- Odin Flashable MD5 Tarballs:
Cyanogenmod 12.1 ROM for Galaxy Tab 3: Download
After Installing the ROM, you can checkout our huge list of best CM 12.1 Themes to save your time searching for the best CM 12.1 Theme. Thanks for XDA Senior Developer, DarkFrenzy for such an awesome gift for Galaxy Tab 3 users.